Saturday
9 January 2010
62 Comments

In memoriam…

Chris Andrews

10th June 1964 – 17 December 2009

Death is nothing at all; it does not count. I have only slipped away into the next room.

Henry Scott Holland

Some of you will already know that Chris Andrews, a regular contributor to this blog, tragically took his own life on the 17th of December. Chris was my companion on fourteen journeys with Light & Land; from Iceland to Bryce Canyon, from the Hebrides to Montana & Wyoming, from the Canadian Rockies to California. But he was so much more than just a client. He was witty, warm, gentle, caring, knowledgeable, enthusiastic, intelligent and always stimulating company. Chris was somebody that I always looked forward to seeing. He was also my companion on a philosophical voyage through photography, somebody that taught me as much about photography as I taught him, and I was without exception eager to hear his opinions and ideas. He was always willing to help other photographers and freely shared his insights and technical expertise. His patience and wide ranging knowledge made him a great teacher.

So many of my favourite images from the last eight years or so were made with Chris only a few yards away. I feel honoured to have been his friend and to have shared numerous wonderful experiences with him.

Chris had been suffering from a depressive illness for a couple of years. I last saw him in May at an RPS conference in Cheltenham. He seemed in generally good spirits though I’d heard subsequently from his mother Annie that he was unwell again. I’m so saddened that he felt for whatever reason that he was no longer able to cope. Photography was his passion. He was a man who loved light and form, a man in awe of the beauty of the world. He was a very great photographer, something which I’m not sure he gave himself proper credit for, and I guess that I always hoped that photography would also be his salvation from depression. If not photography then I hoped that football or music, his other lifelong loves, would have lifted his spirits.

His tastes in music were eclectic, ranging from Dolly Parton to The Smiths. The Cole Porter song “Don’t Fence Me In”  was our theme tune on so many of our American journeys.

It’s so hard for all of us who knew him to take in the fact that we won’t share happy times with him again; won’t share a drink or a joke, see him smile or see any more of his wonderful, evocative images such as the “Empty Chair” that accompanies this post. You can see more of his images on his website; Archive of Visions.

Words are such blunt instruments on occasions such as this, so inadequate at describing how we feel. But this quotation from Joyce Grenfell – read at Chris’ funeral service by his father, Tony – seems to sums up the pain of parting.

If I should die before the rest of you

Break not a flower nor inscribe a stone

Nor, when I’m gone, speak in a Sunday voice,

But be the usual selves that I have known.

Weep if you must

Parting is hell.

But life goes on.

So sing as well.

I would be honoured if those of you who knew Chris would share your experiences of your time spent with him on “Oceans…” and I will pass them on to his parents, Annie and Tony, and brothers, Rob and Nick.

Comments (skip to bottom)

62 Responses to “In memoriam…”

1. On January 9, 2010 at 4:05 pm Joe responded with... #

Word perfect David.

Sadly for me I did not know Chris nearly as well as you, but I can confirm that in my experience he was as charming, witty, sensitive and subtle a man as you could hope to meet. Browsing his website confirms his extraordinary talent. Although web reproduction cannot begin to do justice to his pictures, his work illustrates the understanding of a true artist. If photography is the art of observation, (and surely that is one of its core properties) Chris was a master. Though it’s pretty clear he was unaware of, or unwilling to celebrate, the depth of his ability.

The extraordinarily solitary, empty chair image is unbelievably portentous in this context.

As well as a tragedy for his family, it is a desolate day for photography.

Joe

2. On January 9, 2010 at 5:14 pm Harvey responded with... #

I remember him well from my trip to Iceland.

Very sad.

3. On January 9, 2010 at 5:34 pm Anna responded with... #

Yesterday was a very sad day – I drove through a fairytale landscape, perfect for photography, Johnny Cash playing, my Montana cowboy hat on my head – wishing that Chris was still here to enjoy these things. I intend to delve into my computer archives for photos of him from our trips and into my memory for stories and will return when I’ve found them. I know he will be missed by me countless times in the future for his humour, his good nature, his companionship, our shared memories of good times…

Anna

4. On January 9, 2010 at 5:51 pm Jane Goodall responded with... #

Chris was a wonderful friend and I have very fond memories of our time together. I wrote to him on many subjects including photography. This piece from Chris was responding to my frustration with making images of the landscape, he shared his thoughts with me and I thought people would like to read this correspondence.

August 2008

‘’There are times when the picture sits up in front of you and screams "Take me, take me", but there is more satisfaction to be gained from being able to craft an image from what is in front of you. I think this change was the biggest step forward I made in my photography, and it probably happened around 2003 in Death Valley and Yosemite with David and Joe. But it had taken me at least 12 years to make the leap. I think I learnt what to do by watching what David and Joe were doing and how they went about creating an image from start to finish. There may well be a fair amount of imitation involved (another human trait), but it is used in things like sports psychology where people are taught to think about how Roger Federer would hit the tennis ball when they’re learning to play tennis. So by taking the same considered approach that David and Joe use, and then adjusting it to how my mind works, I found I took less pictures but was happy with the vast majority of them. I was also able to explain my thought process in producing the picture.‘’

The second email is of a lighter note, also written in 2008. Yes he was a daft bugger, and I loved him dearly!

‘One of the things DW and I discussed today was my Take-a-View entry (the name should have been a bit of a clue I guess). He reckoned none of his would get through the first round either. So we might start a radical movement, akin to the Seccessionists, to reclaim landscape photography from the "glorified
    postcard" movement. So we need some sort of manifesto or battle cry, something
    like:

My photographic brothers and sisters

The time has come to reclaim landscape photography as a celebration of the
    beauty that can be found in the world around us. Yes the beauty of a classic
    view, but also the hidden beauty that could be found in the mundane, the
    functional, the practical and the decrepit. The beauty in rust, in plastic, in
    stone, in decay. And we shall rejoice in this beauty. By our work, people will
    see the beauty around them and learn to look – really look – at the world.

So rise up with your cameras and your tripods, and join us in our fight
    against the glorified postcard!

For Beauty! For Simplicity! For Mystery! Advance!

What do you reckon? Or have I finally flipped???’

It is so sad that Chris couldn’t see a way forward in this world. I learned so much from him and I will never forget our times together.

I have attached a couple of images of prints that were recently made for Addenbrookes Hospital for the reception area of the institute of metabolic science. The head of the institute, Prof. O’Rahilly, fell in love with Chris’ films when I took the trannies to show him on a light box during an initial consultation. Although Prof. found the more unusual images of dead tree roots etc the most compelling, he decided to pick the more colourful images for the public consumption as he thought that many people wouldn’t ‘get’ what Chris was trying to do. People love the prints and they fill the space beautifully, the abstract images work so well in this kind of environment. Chris came over to Cambridge on October for the weekend and we visited the department, I was so pleased he was able to see them.

Jane

Chris looking at his Mosaic Canyon image

Me with one of his Cornwall images

5. On January 9, 2010 at 5:52 pm Sami responded with... #

A true loss of a talented man.

I first met Chris on the L&L tour of Iceland in July 2004, and on several trips thereafter, but only got to know him well on the Harris tour in 2008. We shared a car ride throughout the week and many hours of conversation about all things photographic but also music. His love and knowledge of the music he loved was equally as inspiring as his insight and approach to his image making. We have made a number of images a few yards apart and had very meaningful discussions over our camera screens that I will always recall and cherish.

May he find peace.

6. On January 9, 2010 at 6:58 pm Tim Parkin responded with... #

I only had the pleasure of meeting Chris just once at a Light & Land Discovery Day but feel I knew him better through his photography. I understand the pain and irrationality that depressive illness brings and the knife edge that some people walk but I also understand the passion for life that it also can bring on the flipside and I hope that the fewer years he had were lived well, and from David’s words it sounds like they were.

I’ve backed up his website and am happy to provide permanent hosting for this if anybody feels it’s appropriate.

7. On January 9, 2010 at 7:13 pm David responded with... #

Hi Tim,

Thank you so much for your kind words and generous offer to host his website. It has brought me to tears once again. I have been really worried that Chris’ work would disappear when his ClickPic subscription expires. So, yes please. There are so many more great images that he never got around to putting on the site and it would be great if we could add these over time for him as a kind of memorial.

8. On January 9, 2010 at 7:19 pm David responded with... #

Hi Sami,

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I remember you frantically driving Chris around Lewis at breakneck speed to try and find his luggage that BA had mislaid. Plenty of opportunity to talk, even if it was all at 100 miles an hour… I don’t think Roger approved!

Anyway, I’m glad that you got to know Chris on that tour and that he enriched your life as he did mine. He was a very special person.

9. On January 9, 2010 at 7:24 pm David responded with... #

Hi Jane,

Thank you for sharing some of Chris’ correspondence with us all. I think the passages you have selected show both his intelligence and his sense of humour – appreciating what I’ve written and proposing it as a battle cry takes a special kind of humour! ;-) I’m flattered that he felt Joe and I so important in his development as a photographer. I always thought of him as my equal rather than as a pupil.

10. On January 9, 2010 at 7:29 pm David responded with... #

Hi Anna,

Cowboy hats, country and western music, wicked jokes and great light in amazing places… these are all things I will forever associate with travelling with Chris and you from that first Yosemite and Death Valley trip in 2003 when we all shared the same car. Chris; wrapped up in five layers of clothing (including the ever present red fleece) to try and stop being bitten by the huge mosquitoes in Yosemite, map-reading for me and giving me directions "No, that’s my left" (LF photographers are always a bit poor on left and right!), 3am starts and 10pm finishes with Chris unfailingly enthusiastic throughout.

Life will just be poorer without him.

11. On January 9, 2010 at 7:30 pm David O responded with... #

This is desperately sad news and my thoughts are with his family. I met Chris on my first L&L trip in Tuscany and corresponded with him on many occasions thereafter. Chris was always very helpful to me on that first trip, giving me his insights on photography and life; I had never met anybody who had been to the Falklands before and I suspect his favoured red fleece top also travelled there! Chris even helped me get a ticket for Reading v Everton game!

I was a frequent visitor of his website which I know only bears a fraction of his output. Although I was a frequent visitor, I was wishing that he would update the site with some of his back catalogue and I was very much looking forward to his Lomo exploits which he styled "point and hope". Chris was always generous with his time and I caught up with him again at Focus at the NEC earlier this year…he was even persuading me to take up LF and was showing me the latest gear on the Linhof stand.

I am so very sorry and shocked to hear this news. In all, a good man and a good photogrpaher and I know he will be missed.

Rgds

David

12. On January 9, 2010 at 7:43 pm David responded with... #

Hi Joe,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Chris. He did, as you say, have an exceptional talent; a way of paring things down to their essentials and presenting his subject in a starkly beautiful way. The "Empty Chair" graced the cover of the Order of Service at his funeral and I can think of no more apposite image both to convey the sadness of his passing and to express the magnitude of his talent.

13. On January 9, 2010 at 10:25 pm Marian Guess responded with... #

I met Chris on a Light & Land trip to Montana and Wyoming in 2007. It was a cheerful trip with cowboy hats all round and much singing of American Pie. He was fully part of all this but I also found that he was a kind, gentle and thoughtful man. I subsequently saw his beautiful images and always looked out for them after that.

I think I only met him once more but I’ve never forgotten him and was shocked and saddened to hear the news of his loss. His images have a rare beauty which I’m sure will live on and inspire others.

14. On January 9, 2010 at 10:43 pm Paul M responded with... #

This is such sad news. I first met Chris on the Snowdon tour a couple of years ago and we exchanged thoughts several times since then. I remember that we photographed the Cwm Orthin chapel together on a day when I thought producing a decent image would be near impossible – his approach and his photography influenced me then, and will go on influencing me in the future.

A very sad loss.

Paul

15. On January 9, 2010 at 11:01 pm Bob responded with... #

Sadly, I never got to know Chris well, but I always admired his work and the care that he took in his work which stands out in the images (all too few) on his web site.

Bob

16. On January 10, 2010 at 10:44 am Janneke responded with... #

I first met Chris in 2004 on a Light & Land trip to Iceland. I have to admit that afterwards I mainly remembered him as ‘Fridge Packing Boy’, a title bestowed on him by Judi the cook for his excellent logistics services in the kitchen, and for being the loudest snorer in the group.

During 5 or 6 further trips – some to Iceland, some to other locations – I got to know Chris better and realised he was a warm, kind, funny and intelligent person who really loved his photography. The idea that I will never again enjoy his company on any future trips is hard to take in.

Janneke

17. On January 10, 2010 at 11:04 am Jane Goodall responded with... #

I hope you all don’t me making a second entry but I thought I would try and think of the happy times and post one of Chris’ images that he was very proud of; Bruce’s Car Lot

The second one makes me smile, taken on his canon G9 ( very much his sketch pad), Chris told me it had all the elements of a good photo; echoing shapes, dynamic lines and a flowing composition. Taken in Iceland 2008, Chris says any subject can make a good photograph.

"As for this picture, I will always know it could be done better on 5×4, with a little bit of front swing to put the plane of focus along wheelbarrow and the gnome, and a little tilt to get the foreground sharp as well, letting the background go slightly out of focus. (This is what happens when you cross over to the dark slide – you just can’t let go.)" – you know he is joking!

The red fleece, taken in Harris.

And a self portrait by Chris

Finally I wanted to post a piece that many of you have seen, that Chris wrote in 2007. I was late to enjoy it as I only become friends with Chris in 2008.

The Andrews method for determining the Longdin-Ward Effect

Chris Andrews

November 2007

© Chris Andrews 2007

Regular Light & Land customers will be familiar with the time keeping challenges associated with each photo stop. Quite often a 10 minute stop turns into half an hour, or you return on time only to find that someone else is just setting up and you would have had time for that final image after all.

During the Lofoten Islands and Northern Norway trip in July 2007 I sat down with David Ward and Janneke Kroes to see if we could come up with some way of predicting this effect to assist tour leaders in setting times and managing the expectation of clients.

The initial analysis identified a number of factors that could affect the duration of each photo stop:

• The range of subjects available at a location. If there are too many options and not enough time, people will inevitably be late back. If there are a limited number of options, people are likely to be finished on time. If there are too few options then everyone will get in each other’s way leading to the inevitable “tripod rage” incidents and delays as people have to wait for others to finish.

• The changeable light. How often does the light change dramatically just as you are getting to the end of the time allocated? Most tour leaders will allow additional shooting time in these circumstances.

• Weather. Bad weather can sometimes curtail a stop, although some tour leaders are more inclined to keep on going than others.

• Large format photography. By its very nature, large format photography needs at least a 30 minute stop to be viable. On the positive side, LF photographers will not attempt to shoot at short stops so can be assured of being ready in time. On the downside, once a LF photographer starts setting up you can be sure that you won’t be able to leave for another 20 minutes or more.

• Digital photography. Being limited only by the size of their memory cards, some digital photographers will just keep on taking pictures, losing track of time.

• Tour leader. A tour leader working on their own is likely to have more difficulty in keeping to time than a pair of leaders who are used to working together. However, having two leaders can cause conflict if they are not used to working together and there is a difference in opinion on timings and priorities.

After some deliberation, I determined that the key factors in the duration of each stop are the tour leader(s) and the types of client on the trip. All the other factors should be taken into account by the tour leader when they set the duration of the stop in the first place. On this basis there are three scenarios:

• All the clients (and the tour leader) are able to keep to the original time set.

• One (or more) of the clients or the tour leader are unable to keep to the original time set.

• One (or more) clients and one (or more) tour leaders are unable to keep to the original time set.

The following sections derive the estimated deviation from the stated time for each of these scenarios. This deviation has been named the Longdin-Ward Effect in honour of Roger Longdin (a long standing Light & Land client with a track record for working in his own time zone) and David Ward (Light & Land tour leader known for going with the flow while conditions are favourable). These two individuals exemplify the characteristics of the client and tour leader on which these calculations are based.

Disclaimer: It should be noted that the Andrews method for calculating the Longdin-Ward Effect has been based entirely on theoretical examples and anecdotal evidence. To validate the system, it is recommended that extensive trials are undertaken with a variety of client/leader combinations to provide a statistically significant sample.

Definitions

The time estimation process is based on the three point analysis method that is widely used in the commercial world for estimating purposes.

Let Da represent the least time that could be spent.

Let Db represent the most likely time that could be spent.

Let Dc represent the most time that could be spent.

Then the estimated time (D) is given by:

D = (Da + 4Db + Dc)/6

Now, let D0 represent the time set by the tour leader at a specific location.

The difference between the time set by the leader and the expected duration of the stop is the Longdin-Ward Effect (λω), given by:

λω = D – D0

Scenario A – All the clients (and the tour leader) are able to keep to the original time set

The best case in this scenario is that everyone will be ready a few minutes prior to the time set by the tour leader. So:

Da = D0 – 3

The most likely scenario is that everyone will be ready within a few minutes of the set time. So:

Db = D0 + 3

Even with strict time keeping, there is still the chance that something may happen during the stop that will increase the time taken. It is assumed that this will be no more than 25% of the original time. So:

Dc = 5D0/4

The planned duration of the stop (D1) will be given by:

D1 = (Da + 4Db + Dc)/6

D1 = (D0 – 3 + 4(D0 + 3) + 5D0/4)/6

So:
    D1 = (25D0 + 36)/24

We can then derive the first order Longdin-Ward Effect (λω1)

λω1 = D1 – D0

λω1 = (25D0 + 36)/24 – D0

So:
    λω1 = (D0 + 36)/24

Conversely, to achieve a given time at a location (Dt), the advertised time (D0) can be expressed as:

Dt = (25D0 + 36)/24

So:
    D0 = (24Dt – 36)/25

Scenario B – One (or more) of the clients or the tour leader are unable to keep to the original time set

The best case in this scenario is assessed as everyone being ready on time. So:

Da = D0

The most likely scenario is that everyone will be ready within 5 of the set time, regardless of how long the stop was originally. So:

Db = D0 + 5

The worst case is assessed as being an overrun of 50% of the original time set. So:

Dc = 3D0/2

The planned duration of the stop (D2) will be given by:

D2 = (Da + 4Db + Dc)/6

D2 = (D0 + 4(D0 + 5) + 3D0 / 2)/6

D2 = (13D0 /2+ 20)/6

So:
    D2 = (13D0 + 40)/12

We can also derive the second order Longdin-Ward Effect (λω2)

λω2 = D2 – D0

λω2 = (13D0 + 40)/12 – D0

So:
    λω2 = D0 /12 + 10/3

Dt = (13D0 + 40)/12

12Dt = 13D0 + 40

So:
    D0 = (12Dt – 40)/13

Scenario C – One (or more) clients and one (or more) tour leaders are unable to keep to the original time set

The best case in this scenario is assessed as everyone being ready on time. So:

Da = D0

The most likely scenario is that everyone will be ready within 15 of the set time, regardless of how long the stop was originally. So:

Db = D0 + 15

The worst case that has been reported is a 1.5 hour dawn shoot at Mono Lake that became a 4.5 hour marathon (largely down to fantastic light rather than poor time keeping, to be fair). So:

Dc = 3D0

So the planned duration of the stop (D3) will be given by:

D3 = (Da + 4Db + Dc)/6

D3 = (D0 + 4(D0 + 15) + 3D0)/6

D3 = (8D0 + 60)/6

So:
    D3 = 4D0 /3 + 10

We can also derive the third order Longdin-Ward Effect (λω3)

λω3 = D3 – D0

λω3 = 4D0 /3 + 10 – D0

So:
    λω3 = D0 /3 + 10

Dt = 4D0 /3 + 10

3Dt = 4D0 + 30

So:
    D0 = (3Dt – 30)/4

Corollary:

The minimum time for any stop where the full (third order) Longdin-Ward Effect is present is 10 minutes.

Proof: A stop must have a duration greater than 0 minutes, so:

D0 > 0

(3D3 – 30)/4 > 0

3D3 > 30

Therefore:

D3 > 10 QED

Longdin-Ward Tables

The table below sets out the estimated times for each stop for each of the scenarios identified above. The table also calculates the Longdin-Ward Effect associated with each scenario and presents this as a percentage of the original time.

For stops in excess of 2 hours, a basic rule of thumb is to allow for 5% contingency in Scenario A and 10% in Scenario B. Scenario C is likely to perform better in longer stops, as the worst case is not going to be as bad (e.g. it is very unlikely that a 4 hour stop will become a 12 hour stop). It is therefore recommended that extended stops in Scenario C are treated the same as Scenario B, i.e. with a 10% contingency.
    The table below provides the conversion tables to allow tour leaders to set a duration that is likely to be met.

For example, if you can only stop for 45 minutes, the advertised time should be 42 minutes (Scenario A), 38 minutes (Scenario B) or 26 minutes (Scenario C). If the time is advertised as 45 minutes and you are in Scenario C, you should not expect to leave in under 1 hour 10 minutes.

God he was a daft bugger!

18. On January 10, 2010 at 11:18 am Simon Miles responded with... #

Many of the regulars here will not know me, because I have not been on a LL trip for some time (young family, business to run). It is now several years since I met Chris, but I remember clearly and with affection his warm nature, quiet humour and gentle spirit, and I am very saddened to hear this news. I was never aware of his illness, and did not experience any sign of this during our brief acquaintance. What I do remember is that Chris was absolutely the perfect companion on a photography trip; friendly, easy going, funny and sensitive to the needs of others and of the group. These same qualities no doubt made him a wonderful companion in life to those who were lucky to know him well.

I think of him now with a sad tear in my eye and a fond smile on my face.

I agree that it would be wonderful if some of his photographs could be kept online. As photographers and members of a photographic community, it seems the least we can do.

19. On January 10, 2010 at 11:26 am Brian Whittaker responded with... #

I met Chris in Vermont in 2006 and retain in my mind’s eye as well as in my hard drive an image of him undercover with his large format camera at the wonky barn. It reminded me how he could combine both a serious passion and respond positivley to the comic scenario often initiated by us in the 35mm proletariat. Never got to join him on any other trips but agree he was a warm and gentle man.

I am still very shocked when someone feels that bad about life that they take this route.He will be remembered very fondly.

Brian

20. On January 10, 2010 at 12:23 pm adamp responded with... #

So many people will have known Chris through L&L tours, and like me had perhaps extended their friendship with him beyond these. So many of our images will bring memories of him because he was working right next to us, or because he helped us set-up and work on the composition or whatever was giving us a problem. That Titus Canyon image which Jane put up is very much a case in point for me as I was working on a different part of the same subject right next to Chris. He had no problem with that at all: just a small example of his generous nature. Also in that canyon I saw how he was patiently tutoring another tour participant, a digital user, on using LF just to give him that experience. Again, generosity in full flow as Chris put his own wish to craft a picture to one side.

I will never understand why the good Lord can prematurely take away a good life, that of a person who wanted to share his delight in the world with others, yet allow other people who are utterly self-centred and destructive to live on and continue to cause havoc.

Chris will be missed by many of us.

21. On January 10, 2010 at 4:45 pm Julian Parker responded with... #

I knew Chris through L&L although not nearly as well as some. My first memories of Chris are from a 6 hour layover in Minneapolis waiting for connecting flights to Missoula for the start of the Montana and Wyoming tour in November 2007. We had all just managed to find each other and break the ice. The 6 hour layover went all the more quickly, thanks to Chris’s easy conversation and sense of humour – and yes I think the red fleece was already present.

During the trip we had to make a pitstop in Bozeman at "F11 Camera Supply" to replace some damaged kit and get a tripod repair. This is where Chris bought his G9. Within a couple of days the G9 had failed, but with a few telephone calls, a dash to a Fed Ex depot and then some luck persuading F11 to Fed Ex a replacement to our next motel/lodge address a replacement was sorted. From my recollection this was all dealt with in Chris’s typical good humour, much like the the lost luggage episode at the start of the Harris trip mentioned earlier by David. Aside from the music and cowboy hats in Montana, I have a lasting image of Chris laying in snow in Yellowstone in order to get the shot he wanted, even at the expense of soaking the red fleece and upsetting a pretty unsympathetic park ranger! Happy times.

Isle of Harris the following year was the next and last time meeting Chris on a L&L trip, although I have bumped into him at numerous other events, Focus, Robert White Seminar weekends, Discovery days, various gallery exhibitions and so forth and have always enjoyed his company.

I was stuck by his absence at the recent L&L Discovery day (although I wasn’t sure if I had simply missed him), now I see why – his "Black Dog" was visiting and ultimately proved too much.

The candle that burns twice as brightly, burns half as long. I think that even for those of us that had only met him a few times and from what I read above, he clearly did burn quite brightly in our memories. This is an unhappy start to 2010 and has touched me more than I would have expected.

22. On January 10, 2010 at 5:35 pm Dave responded with... #

I find it difficult to express how sad I feel at the news of Chris’ death. In recent years I had the privilege of spending so many great times with Chris. Turning up at the airport or hotel and meeting up with Chis again was always a great pleasure. Our last trip together was to Death Valley. I’ll always remember Chris wearing his cowboy hat and his gentle smile.

23. On January 10, 2010 at 6:54 pm Peter responded with... #

Reading these comments from you all – some of whom I know & some I would hope to meet one day – Chris’s talent, skill, passion, love for his photography & warm nature come through so clearly.

Even though I did not have the pleasure of meeting Chris, he has reinforced (through you all) something for me/us to strive for – being warm, kind, caring, industrious, hard working, open minded & passionate about the things you care for can all be rewarded by the love of all who are proud to call you their friend.

Thank you Chris. Please keep a seat warm for me when I hope we eventually get to meet.

24. On January 10, 2010 at 10:56 pm Nick Andrews responded with... #

Thank you so much David, both for setting up this memorial to Chris and for the warmth with which you have reflected on him and his art. The subsequent postings have been heartening to read and I extend my thanks to all contributors. I will try to write more in due course and will ensure that Annie, Tony and Rob get to read your kind words.

25. On January 10, 2010 at 11:03 pm David responded with... #

Hello Nick,

There’s really no need to thank me, Chris was my friend and I feel that it’s the least that I can do to mark his passing in some way and to help the others in the photography community who knew him to pay their respects to a lovely, talented man. I just wish I could do more.

David

26. On January 10, 2010 at 11:52 pm Rob Andrews responded with... #

I’d just like to echo what Nick said. We were down at Chris’s flat in Southsea today looking through his A4 prints. So many beautiful images, and so many of the friends he made through L&L.

Rob

27. On January 11, 2010 at 7:03 am Mark Wainer responded with... #

I met Chris and enjoyed his company on a 2 week tour to Norway. He was engaging and contemplative with a sense of humor to enjoy. He was passionate about his photography. It is heartbreaking to learn that he will not be there again and that his life is ended so prematurely.

Thank you, David, for this memorial to Chris.

Mark

28. On January 11, 2010 at 12:29 pm Annie & Tony Andrews responded with... #

Dear David & Jenny,

Words can’t describe how we are feeling after reading so many wonderful tributes to our lovely son. Thank you so much for making it all possible for so many friends to contribute. Of course he was special to us but we had no idea he had touched so many people’s lives.

We will write again soon but at the moment I’m having difficulty seeing the keyboard!

We have a photo of Chris in cowboy gear aged 3 that we would like to share with you all. It may bring a smile to people on the Montana trip.

Our heartfelt thanks to you all,

Tony & Annie

29. On January 11, 2010 at 3:52 pm Sandy Wilson responded with... #

Having only had a brief encounter with Chris, he left a lasting impression on me as a passionate and enthusiastic photographer.

To me photography is all about light and today when I read this news on the Oceans blog I felt that a light had gone out in the world of photography.

I would therefore like to contribute a piece of poetry to the memory of Chris.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.

I am not there. I do not sleep.

I am the thousand winds that blow.

I am the diamond glints on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.

I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning’s hush

I am the swift uplifting rush

of quiet birds in circled flight.

I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry.

I am not there. I did not die.

My deepest sympathy to Chris’s parents Tony and Annie.

30. On January 11, 2010 at 5:38 pm David responded with... #

Dear friends,

I just wanted to thank you all for sharing your thoughts, your anecdotes and offering kind words about Chris. You will no doubt have seen from their comments how touched his family have been by your sentiments. I know that I have been frequently moved to tears by what you have written.

After proposing the idea to his family and gaining their approval I am hoping that I will be able to gather together a selection of his best images into a book as a celebration of his talent and life.

Rob Cook from Paramo has very generously offered to make a donation to The Samaritans from sales of their darkcloth at Focus – Chris was instrumental in designing this over a couple of pints with Rob and I in the bar of the Kings House Hotel one wintry evening in 2007. Please do make your own donations if you don’t need a darkcloth!

Anna Booth and I will also be marking Chris’ passing during our forthcoming exhibition at the OXO Gallery in London.

I will keep you informed of all of these things over the coming months.

Thank you all once again and do please send in more thoughts and images if you have them.

David

31. On January 11, 2010 at 7:25 pm Claire Davey responded with... #

I started reading this wonderful tribute to Chris this morning while at work and had to stop for fear of dissolving into tears in the office.

Chris was an important part of my Light & Land family, having travelled together on four trips over the last three years. To echo David’s words, he was somebody who I was always pleased to see and whose kind and gentle
    company I appreciated enormously.

Chris’ patience and calm when looking for and setting up an image always impressed me and I can remember exactly which of my own images he so generously helped me with. I have many happy memories from our travels that have been coming back to me over the last couple of weeks and which I will cherish – lost cowboy hats in Yellowstone, long musical car journeys in Montana & Wyoming, hours of laughter in Vermont, and many more.

I will miss his company very much and am so sad that he is no longer with us.

32. On January 11, 2010 at 9:44 pm Tony Shaw responded with... #

Sadly I never met Chris in person but we did meet photographically so to speak over two pages in the "Working The Light" book with his evocative photograph of Iceland.

33. On January 12, 2010 at 1:35 pm Jenny Esse responded with... #

I met Chris on 2/3 L&L holidays – Vermont and Montana the ones that were outstanding – if only for his company and his quiet help which he gave to me on many occasions. He was truly one of nature’s gentlemen and it knocked me sideways to hear that he had so tragically died and left such a black hole behind him. His photography was sublime – the piano will always remind me of him, taken in Vermont.

34. On January 12, 2010 at 1:49 pm Rob Andrews responded with... #

I thought people might like to see a portrait of Chris. It was taken at Roger and Elizabeth Sherratt’s retirement home in Cornwall in September 2008. He met Roger and Elizabeth, like so many other friends, through L&L.

A bit thinner than he was, and wearing the black denim jacket that replaced the red fleece in his affections. He even wore the red fleece to Reading football matches – he could have managed something blue!

Rob

Chris

35. On January 12, 2010 at 2:19 pm Steve Lewis responded with... #

I’m just hearing this news, and I’m deeply shocked and saddened. I knew that Chris had been unwell in recent years, but the last time I saw him (Focus 2009) he was in great form.

We first met on a L&L trip in 2005. We’ve met up many times since, on workshops, Discovery Days, Focus etc, and I always enjoyed his warm and welcoming manner, and his quiet yet incisive humour.

I can still see him out in the distance on the mud flats of the river Conwy, resplendent in his red fleece, working on an image. It’s a memory I will now treasure all the more.

Photography is poorer for the loss on one its sons, and the world at large is poorer for the loss of one of the good guys.

36. On January 12, 2010 at 3:55 pm Ray Downham responded with... #

I met Chris during our shared L&L trips to Iceland and the Outer Hebrides. Chris had a clear passion for photography and was a great practitioner of the art.

Quietly congenial with a ready but understated wit he was always a pleasure to be with. We also shared a common interest in football, and I remember coming off second best during good-natured banter about his beloved Reading and my cherished West Ham.

While mourning the tragedy of his last days I’ll remember a good and kind person who bequeaths us happy memories and a great body of work.

My sincere condolences to his family and many friends.

37. On January 12, 2010 at 8:40 pm Phil Davis responded with... #

Like many of the contributors, I only met Chris twice, once in Montana/Wyoming and once at a subsequent Discovery Day. Like you all, I was shocked by the news.

Apart from the great imagery, I think his intelligence and humour is summed up for me in the Longdin/Ward effect, which combines a surrealist streak with elements of his professional work. His good humour was emphasized to me by the phlegmatic way he noted that none of the large format images he made on the trip had come out: he would just have to return!

I will miss him greatly.

38. On January 12, 2010 at 8:56 pm Tony Dawson responded with... #

It was only today that I heard of Chris’s passing from an e-mail from Jane. I was with him and a small group of like-minded souls in Iceland in 2008 and I was struck by his generosity, his modesty and his sense of fun. I do note that Jane did not include his classic shot of her sitting on two plastic wrapped bales of hay, his eye for an image led to a shot of the biggest buttocks in the world.

As I said I only knew him for two weeks, but for those who knew him for much longer and those for his entire life, I am so sorry for your loss.

39. On January 12, 2010 at 10:08 pm Jane Goodall responded with... #

Oh God, we laughed and laughed and laughed!

40. On February 8, 2010 at 9:04 pm Chris Howe responded with... #

Such a shock to hear this.

I only travelled with Chris once – to Death Valley in 2008 – I remember well what David mentions about his pics in Bodie.

A quiet considered man.

41. On February 10, 2010 at 1:27 pm Jon Gibbs responded with... #

Chris was obviously very dedicated to his photography, whether it be experimenting with his red filter on his G9 making surreal IR type shots or making large format images of hay bales that looked like a big arse!

Very sad news, my condolences to his family and friends.

Jon

42. On February 10, 2010 at 2:57 pm Anna Booth responded with... #

I have looked through my computer archives (rather a lengthy process due to the disarray) and found some pictures of Chris that bring back really good memories which I shall always cherish.

Yosemite 2003

I think Yosemite might have been the first trip I went on with Chris. David mentioned that the trip was fun – most of the time the 2 of them were discussing music or photography or navigating in the car but whenever we stopped the ‘fun’ consisted of locking me out and watching me either rush headlong towards it in an attempt to get in before being spotted or begging to be let in or just driving off without me – yes, I think they did have an enormous amount of fun! Of course Chris in every conceivable garment trying to fool the mosquitoes is an amusing memory, together with a very fast scary ride down the White Mountains. Unfortunately no photos just lots of great, fun memories.

Montana and Wyoming 2007

An important feature of this holiday was purchase of cowboy hats and Chris was relatively easy to convince it was a good idea.

Claire, Chris and I sporting ours:

In fact he was most upset when he lost his to a geyser in Yellowstone. You can see him hatless in his red fleece:

He did try on others but they were never as good as the first:

Of course there were other moments captured on camera when Chris posed for his own photo:

When David and Chris were helping Claire, the hat never far away:

Fences and the red fleece:

Interiors of the Moose Drool Establishment:

The day I remember most is when I made the mistake of suggesting, in a hypothetical sort of way, that it would be good if they were nice to me for just a day. On the way to breakfast the next day it started – the obsequiousness – I was shortly begging them to stop. However, finally Chris reverted to norm and was fighting me to get something in or out of the boot so, as a penance I made him do some press ups!

Death Valley trip 2008

I shall always remember Chris and Bodie – obviously no photos of him as he was so inspired by the location we barely saw him for 2 days and, as David said, he was very productive.

However, I did manage to capture David and Chris side by side – a common occurrence – with their digitals:

Engrossed in grasses at Mono Lake:

Evening at Mono Lake with Janneke:

Focus 2009

Chris was on great form and happily answering lots of technical questions on cameras and this is a picture of him with Lesley behind the counter:

I shall always remember him for his sense of fun, for having a gentle wit and intelligence – it was always a pleasure to spend a holiday with Chris – he was so easy to be around. It is good to think of the happy times but so sad to know they can never return.

Anna

43. On January 1, 2011 at 2:38 pm Roger responded with... #

I travelled many times with Chris on Light & Land trips to such places as Iceland, America, Canada, Scotland and more. I always knew that if Chris was on a trip I had booked then we would all have a great fun time; his warm friendship and his ability to deliver his classic witty comments just at the right moment will be remembered by all who knew him.

I will particularly remember: the sing-alongs, the jokes and the Chas and Dave T-shirts in Montana & Wyoming; the patented anti mosquito garb he devised in Yosemite; the midnight hot-pool session and the whisky bottle in Iceland and the snoring competition he had with Phil also in Iceland.

I will also remember and thank Chris for the occasions that involved me getting into an aircraft, at which I am famously bad. Chris was there to offer me solace and encouragement to embark. It is quite amazing the various strengths and weaknesses we all have.

More recently, in June 2008, Chris came to my private view bash for the Bucks Open Studios event held at my house where he enjoyed meeting Paul, another convert to the dark-slide, and Anna, Melanie and others. After that he went on another Iceland trip and upon his return he asked me to print his black & white images from that trip. I took it as quite a little accolade from such a discerning photographer.

Chris came up for the weekend and we spent a lot of time in the darkroom, lots of wit and humour was exchanged with the odd expletive when things didn’t go quite right but the prints were done and he got quite interested in the printing process. I have still got the test strips and contact prints from that session and they will now be hung on the darkroom wall in his memory. Before he left he wanted to look around the farm and he managed to lift my spirits when we gazed at acres of ripe oats flattened by the recent heavy rain and wind. Thinking back now how I wish I could have have had the opportunity to try and lift his spirits in his time of need.

My last trip with Chris – and I think his last trip with Light & Land – was to Eigg in May 2009. He looked fit as he had lost a lot of weight but his usual wit and general sense of humour, although still there, was subdued as was his ardour for image making.

My last conversation with Chris was in mid June 2009 a few days before he was due to come once again to my open studios event, he seemed quite depressed because of the lack of work and finance etc, he concluded by saying he would make it if he could but sadly he didn’t turn up and despite trying to contact him a number of times subsequently I was never to see or speak to him again.
    I feel so frustrated now knowing the outcome, that I and my friends that knew him were unable to have the chance to try and rally him out of the depths he had descended to, however I just hope his soul has now found the peace he was seeking.

Roger

44. On January 1, 2011 at 5:49 pm Melanie responded with... #

I only had the pleasure of meeting Chris twice, but even from those two occasions it was obvious that Chris had a passion and flair for photography, along with an abundance of intelligence and wit. I loved reading the Longdin-Ward Effect, as I have had first hand experience of this myself! Anna often spoke of the trip where everyone wore cowboy hats, and I know from reading these comments how much Chris has touched so many people.

As we attempt to come to terms with this tragic loss, let us also take stock of who we have around us, and cherish them all the more – in memory of our dear friend Chris.

45. On January 1, 2011 at 10:26 pm Paula responded with... #

This blog has been such a pleasure to read. Chris touched so many peoples lives in such positive ways, through his words, as well, of course, as his images.
    I first met Chris in the Gower with Anna, David & Joe. It was his first outing with large format and the ease with which he embraced this new image making was as impressive as the images he subsequently took.

I too have my favourite Chris image and I do hope somehow I will be able to see it again together with his full collection – so well done David & Tim – a great idea!

He came to my showroom in Leigh if ever there was something photographic he needed but the visits always felt like a friend had popped in to chat and we often found we had to rush the ‘photography bit’ as we had spent too long nattering and putting the world to right!

I last saw Chris at Focus last year when he generously offered his time and knowledge to help me on my stand. He was so at ease chatting to the many customers about the cameras and photography, his passion for it all so evident. He was great company out of the exhibition too joining in the inevitable banter and sarcasm after a long days work.

People like Chris do not touch our lives often. I am honoured to have known him. Good memories – just not enough of them.

46. On January 1, 2011 at 11:20 pm Richard Childs responded with... #

I have just taken the time to look through Chris’ images again. A showcase of his talent they speak so much of the man himself. Quiet, subtle, considered, intelligent and often with a witty twist.

I only really got to know Chris on the Norway tour in 2006 although I had the misfortune of sharing a dormitory with him on Lewis the year before ;-) ( His snoring was legendary! David ) His generosity saved me from disaster in the Arctic when he handed over a box of Quickloads having shown more restraint than me.

I was looking forward to meeting him again on a future trip as was everyone who had had the pleasure of travelling with him. His departure is such a great loss.

He kept at true good humour’s mark

The social flow of pleasure’s tide:

He never made a brow look dark,

Nor caused a tear, but when he died.

~Thomas Love Peacock

47. On February 1, 2011 at 3:22 pm Jason Theaker responded with... #

My condolences to his family and friends…

48. On February 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm Rob Andrews responded with... #

As has been mentioned, one of Chris’s other great passions, along with photography and music, was football, and in particular Reading Football Club. It seems appropriate after Reading’s great win at Liverpool last night to quote a short piece I wrote for my Reading FC website:

My brother, Chris Andrews, took his own life on 17th December 2009. So much of my experience of Reading Football Club is tied up with Chris. We went to our first game together in 1974. We were at Elm Park together to see Robin Friday score "that goal". We were at Wembley together for the Simod Cup and the Play-off Finals. We were at Cardiff together for the other Play-off Final. We were at Leicester together when we went up [to the Premier League]. We were at Derby together when we went down. We cried at Leicester, but not at Derby. The last time I saw him was in the Mad Stad [Madejski Stadium] car park after the Scunthorpe game. He has left a gaping hole in my life.

Thanks once again to everyone who has contributed. Annie, Tony, Nick, Kate and I have read all of your kind messages and been more moved than we can say.

49. On April 1, 2011 at 10:43 am Rob Andrews responded with... #

Here as promised is the picture of Chris (left) and me (right) as cowboys at Christmas 1966. The cat was called Binns (short for Bernard).

50. On April 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm Paul Mitchell responded with... #

Roger has just told me of the incredibly sad news. I didn’t know him that well but was fortunate to while away an hour or so with him in Roger’s kitchen while wading through Sue’s nibbles. During that short time I found him to be a very warm and amiable person who was only too willing to impart some of his vast knowledge on a poor LF novice. I for one will be coming away from Focus this year with a Paramo darkcloth.

Paul

51. On April 1, 2011 at 9:20 pm Guy Aubertin responded with... #

Sad sad news…

I remember well the snoring in the Outer Hebrides! Having not met him until that trip there was quite a lot of joking going on in the mini-bus as to which dorm he would end up in! Those of us who missed out on sharing the same dorm still heard his presence down the corridor!

Rest easy Chris

52. On June 1, 2011 at 9:01 am Patrick Kaye responded with... #

It was a great shock to read of Chris’s tragic death this morning and I have been moved to both laughter and tears by my own recollections of Chris and by the recollections of others already written. I am glad to have known Chris and now, of course, I wish I had known him better.

However, there is much consolation in the legacy of his very fine images.
    I offer my deepest sympathy to Chris’s family and friends.

53. On June 2, 2011 at 1:21 pm Neil Brayshaw responded with... #

I am deeply saddened to learn of chris’ death. I only had the pleasure of meeting him and sharing his company on one occasion on a L & L trip to the Hebrides in 2005. I can only echo the feelings that so many others have expressed already.

My memories of him are of a warm and friendly human being and a very intelligent and talented photographer. I was not aware of his illness, not that I necessarily would have been, but it is a tragedy that he felt that he had no other option than to take his own life and end such a prodigious talent.

Rest in peace Chris.

54. On July 1, 2011 at 12:41 pm Paul Arthur responded with... #

I only met Chris once, but speaking with him at Focus last year had a profound effect on me and in no small part steered me towards where I now find myself with large format photography.

I am desperately sorry to hear of his death, and would like to send my sympathies to his family and friends. I too have spent some time looking at his work over the past year, and found it to be inspiring along with his clear devotion to his art and the outdoors.

Whilst in his passing I have not lost a friend, I do feel that I have lost someone that inspired me to immerse myself in large format work and to look at the world in a different way.

55. On August 1, 2011 at 5:49 pm David responded with... #

Dear friends,

I want to offer my thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this memorial to Chris. I have frequently been moved to tears by your comments. It is obvious to all that Chris was dearly loved for many qualities, most notably his dry humour and his great skill as a photographer.

I’ve been rooting around in my hard drive looking for images of Chris and wanted to share a few of these with you. Sadly I don’t have any pictures from any of our early tours together as I never used to take a compact camera with me. Chris was instrumental in persuading me that I ought to get one and spent a great deal of time extolling the virtues of a Canon G9.

I want to start with Chris in his archetypal red fleece…

This was taken in 2008 during a stop at a small waterfall in the northwestern fjords of Iceland, a country that I will always associate with him. He first visited there with me in 2001, on his very first L&L trip. I very quickly struck up a friendship with him. He returned to Iceland on every L&L trip over the following seven years – travelling there independently in the years when I wasn’t running a tour. You might say he was addicted!

This was taken on the same tour. The group had stopped for afternoon tea alongside an abandoned fishing station and Chris and I had decided to explore a nearby boatshed. Inside we found a collection of rusting barrels which we both thought had huge potential for photography. There was a good deal of friendly rivalry – and perhaps a little macho competition! – about which approach to making an image of them was best. I was struck by how closely together we were working and yet how different our images were. You can see my version here and I will post Chris’ once I have scanned his trannies. His camera is nearest the lens in this image.

Here’s Chris in a light hearted moment at Geysir.

We talked during this tour about returning for a winter trip and were planning to rent vehicles such as these.

And finally, here is a picture of Chris (for once not in his red fleece!) alongside Anna Booth in California on the last journey we made together.

Chris and Anna had first met on an earlier tour to Yosemite and Death Valley. The three of us had shared a vehicle for ten days and we had so much fun together. We arrived a little late at this location so Chris, realising there was no time for a shot using his Linhof, took out his G9 and made a number of stunning compositions in a very short period of time. It was Chris who taught me the value of using a compact as a sketching tool.

Later on during this tour we visited Bodie and, much to my surprise, Chris spent the first day wandering around with only his compact. On his second visit he returned to, I think, around nine locations and made 5×4 images in very short order and in the "right" light based upon the research sketches he’d made on his G9. I, on the other hand, struggled to make four or five images over the two days. As with so many other things, he had the right approach.

I just wish, Chris, that you had known how important you were to so many people.

56. On August 1, 2011 at 9:19 pm Judi responded with... #

Chris, Chris, Chris… Just couldn´t take in the news when David called to tell me before Christmas. Just read all those wonderful comments with tears streaming down my face. So many great memories, can´t imagine a L&L tour to Iceland without him. I can talk for England but cannot write good prose as so many of you have, so I´ll just set out my main memories of Chris with the odd comment. Sort of a stream of consciousness.

Gin and tonic; boy he could make a mean gin and tonic, didn´t drown it like some. Then there was the disaster when a gin bottle fell out of the trailer.
    Whisky in the hot pot, hot pots in general, swimming pools in general. Best was the school pool in Sæburg in 2008, it had been an ambition of mine to visit that pool for years and it wasn´t officially open to the public but Chris and I managed to convince the caretaker to give us the key. The hot pot there was very hot but we sat for hours late into the night, some dodgy topics of conversation, about operations and procedures on private parts will suffice as a summary.

Girly beers; "do you want a real beer or one of these girly things?"

Fridge packing boy; I think it was maybe David who gave him this name, not me, he was so controlled so methodical; never rushed and always always managed to fit everything in with a system for finding things too, not like me, shove it in and keep the rest outside was my motto.

Always being one of the last up but never the last to be ready to leave, same breakfast every day, O-juice first, black coffee, muesli with a banana if poss and then toast and more black coffee.

His musical taste as far as I could see/hear seemed to consist of weird women with even weirder voices. Hell he even liked Björk and Tori Amos, can hardly get weirder than that pair! If Chris had one fault it had to be his lack of appreciation of the music of Al Stewart, he could be quite rude about him, but I took it from Chris.

The red fleece of course, the snoring of course, the photographs of course, the oh so patient explanations to a total non-photgrapher…

Chris coming to Iceland not on a L&L tour, bringing his dad to Fljotsdalur. Being nice about Iceland, being nice about my cooking, being nice full stop… Oh Chris it was an honour to know you and I hope with all my heart you are at peace, you were one of life’s good guys.

Love to you all

Judi

57. On August 1, 2011 at 10:20 pm Rob Andrews responded with... #

I’ve tracked down a fairly lo-res version of Chris’s image of the rusty barrels.

58. On September 1, 2011 at 10:39 am Tony Andrews responded with... #

Judi,

Just to say I have fond memories of Chris and I visiting you in Iceland. I remember in particular our meal together and our walk afterwards. Christopher had often talked about you and it was good to meet you. I doubt whether I will ever return to Iceland, but that holiday with Chris (as a tourist!!!) holds a special place in my heart.

Tony.

59. On October 1, 2011 at 5:52 pm Jenny MacLennan responded with... #

I was deeply saddened to hear this news. Unlike most people contributing, I never met Chris, and knew him only through his photographs and comments. His images have a beauty, depth and quiet subtlety to them, and an amazing ability to communicate the affinity he felt with his subject…qualities that sound totally consistent with his true character.

I am so sorry that his illness has taken such a generous, thoughtful and gifted man, and that our paths will never have the chance to cross. My thoughts are with his family and friends in their great loss.

60. On October 1, 2011 at 7:52 pm Alison Montgomery responded with... #

I have very fond memories of Chris in Iceland. Not being the best photographer in the world, we spent many hours on the coach, discussing how I could make my images better, and why his worked so well. I even went out and bought a G10 in the hope that I would achieve at least one photo that was as good as his. He could see shape, form and colour and was truly talented. I loved his images of the chair and the staircase in the creepy hostel (the shining) in Iceland. In your honour, I will try to take more time looking and more time composing when taking a picture.

I hope that you rest in peace and that you are free from your inner turmoil.

Alison

61. On December 1, 2011 at 4:26 pm Irma responded with... #

It was only today Gert and I heard Chris is no longer with us and it has come as a complete shock, we are in tears. We had no idea he was depressed from time to time. On the trips we have been on together he was always a calm, however pleasent person, because of his wit, his intelligent remarks and kindness. I remember we once talked about wanting to have a website to showcase the pictures taken on the various travels. The next time we met he asked if I had one yet, but it was and is still on my things-to-do list. Some time after we received an e-mail in which he told several of us he had one now, if we cared to take a look. What beautiful images he has made over the years. It was only last week I had another look, not knowing he had so tragically passed away, just to see if there had been more additions… We always admired his ability for seeing an image and then also take it.

Recently Gert and I booked another L&L trip and said to each other maybe we will see some of the others again, also thinking about Chris, we already pictured seeing a red fleece at the airport, immediately knowing it would be Chris. We feel so sad we will never meet again. He touched lives beyond Britain’s boundaries.

Our thoughts are with his family and friends.

Irma and Gert

The Netherlands

62. On December 1, 2011 at 6:45 pm Judi responded with... #

Thank you Tony. I cannot begin to imagine the range of emotions you are all going through. The only advice I can offer is a very obvious but often overlooked comment that someone said to me after a bereavemnet. Remember the good times.
    And I am sure there are many.

With love